I have a pretty good sized selection of freeze dried goods in all types of goods. I have entrees, plain meats, and plain fruits or veggies. Living 3 blocks from emergency essentals is somewhat nice. A few things to keep in mind however. Think about what you need and in what quantity. Lets go with blueberries. A #10 can holds approx 6lbs of fresh blueberries. When you open it you can increase the shelf life a little by storing them in the freezer or fridge, but how long would it take you to consume 6 lbs of blueberries? Even making pancakes, granola, snaking on them, muffins, blending them into drinks, point is, it takes a while. Where as some items... say the bell peppers and onions... these are easier, since you can substitue fresh for the FD in most recipes from stews and soup, to meatloaf, to various other recipes that anyone cooks on a regular basis. The staples are really convient and will get used, the odd balls... they may get VERY boring before being consumed.

There are also the plain meats I have a few cases of. pre cooked chicken dice and ground beef can be tossed into packages soup mix or to casserole, or into prepackaged meals (hambuger helper) ect. Then there are uncooked porkchops. These I had to tyr before buying. Not bad, but not fresh, but cut up and make verde.... pretty tastey. Thing is here, there are about 30 porkchops in the can... again, how many times can you cook porkchops in a row? Your results may vary.

****Edit to add*** FD food is a great way to augment most meals. But do not make it you sole food source. One should have mutiple types of food, shelf stable, canned (purchased or home), FD, dehydrated, and the basic staples (grains, rice, beans, ect)

Edited by utspoolup (11/03/08 04:25 PM)