The more I read about electrical fires at home, the more I realize how dangerous they can be and how they can overcome so many of these families that you hear about in the news.

Apparently most happen at night, when you're asleep, and if the problem is in the fixed wiring behind the wall, the fire can grow but you wouldn't really know it. So, eventually your smoke alarm might go off and wake you up, but you won't necessarily see fire and you dilly-dally getting out, thinking it's not so serious. Meanwhile, the fire that has been spreading inside the walls suddenly breaks through and next thing you know, you've got flames and smoke all around. Scary stuff.

And apparently the most common place in the home for electrical fires is in the bedroom, right where you're sleeping! I haven't seen any breakdown by specific causes, but probably space heaters are reason number one. Either the electric heater itself shorts out, you're using an extension cord that gets damaged or can't handle the current, or the socket or fixed wiring get overloaded. Anyway, just a guess.