Great point Tom, and one my attorney made before trial. It isn't always what you say, but the way you say it.

Questioners, whether police or prosecutor will often try to get you to say something in a way that looks bad for you. In addition to the previous advise about having an attorney, remember, you control the questioning.

Take your time and consider each question. You can decline to answer the question as stated or ask for the question to be stated differently if it is loaded or misleading or requires you to give an incomplete and misleading answer. Don't argue, just state you can't answer the question that was asked. You don't have to answer yes or no to a question that requires explanation.... "I didn't shoot with the intention to kill, I shot for center mass to stop as I have been trained to..." "I fired two shots, as I've been trained, paused to reassess the situation and fired another shot as it appeared the attacker was still coming at me...." There will be lots of loaded questions trying to trick you into admitting something.

And when you have a prosecutor who is trying to fluster you or make you angry during cross-examination, like I did, it frustrates the hell out of them to have to slow down and restate questions so you can answer accurately and completely.