Originally Posted By: Doug_Botimer
I wasn't prepared to survive the legal battle that followed. I got lucky, and by serendipity, was socially acquainted with a good lawyer. I was also lucky to have the emotional and financial support of my employer and family.

Ignatius Piazza told me several years ago during a Front Sight 4 day defensive handgun course that the moment you use lethal force to protect your life or the life of another, plan on spending $50-$100k in legal fees to defend yourself in criminal and/or civil litigation. He also suggested that your past better be squeaky clean when you decide to pull the trigger, because any dirt that can be dragged up by a prosecutor/plaintiff's attorney most certainly will be.

I'm amazed anytime I see someone posting their latest firearm modification on the internet. The absolute last thing in the world that you would ever want to do while defending yourself in court for the use of deadly force is to explain why you reduced the trigger pull/throw, explain away the mall ninja cell phone photographs that you posted of yourself in the mirror with your latest tactical vest, or anything else that made it appear that you had bought a bunch of gear and were just itching to use it.

Jim