OK, new FAK V6.

(I've made a few changes since these pictures, but very minor)

Note, this FAK is my EDC kit and is fairly streamlined in order to support EDC carry.

My EDC bag is now a Maxpedition Condor II. Main exterior pocket is dedicated to FAK (this gives me a bit more room than previous EDC kits):

As can be seen in photo:
  • Pocket Mask (pair gloves inside)
  • Pair of Epi-Pens
  • Trauma bandage (w/pair of gloves)*
  • Small pair scissors*
  • Small pair diagonal cutters*
  • Main FAK container*

* Slight update. All these items have been moved into a single Snapware 1 liter container.

In addition to a pair of gloves in the kit, I have an Emdom "Grobes" Glove Pouch with several pairs of Nitrile exam gloves attached to the exterior of my EDC bag (upper leftmost pouch as viewed in this picture):

Inside the primary FAK container, we see the following:

• Various sizes BloodStop gauze (2x4", 2x2")
  • .5 oz bottle, Betadine solution
  • (2) caplets, Benadryl
  • (2) packets, Burn Jel
  • (2) packets, aspirin
  • (2) packets, Tylenol
  • (2) packets, Gas-X
  • thermometer
  • Steri-Strips
  • Disposable razor
  • Petzl e+Lite headlamp
  • Tape
  • 3x4" non-stick pads
  • glass signal mirror (assist self-aid in hard to reach/see spots)
  • Magnifying glass
  • Safety pin
  • Alcohol swaps
  • (4) tablets, Pepto-Bismol
  • packet, Imodium
  • Triple Antibiotic Ointment
  • Ampules saline (eye flush)
  • Irrigation syringe
  • sharp point tweezers
  • blunt point diamond coated slant tweezers
  • Glucose tablet
  • Bandages, finger sized
  • Bandages, standard sized
  • Straight razor blades
  • Pair #10, #15 & #11 scalpel blades
  • #3 Scalpel handle

[FULL SIZED FAK PICTURES]

I've moved some things out of the FAK proper and now include them in the "convenience" section of my primary kit.

This includes additional quantities of Benadryl, Sudafed, throat lozenges, Claritin, Tums, Tylenol, etc.

The idea is to try to re-focus the kit on more urgent needs but still having a supply of comfort and convenience items, and to decouple the inventory of these two categories.

The new container is lighter, better sized and better shaped while still being waterproof and protecting the items from crushing (lots cheaper, too). It also allows me to move the trauma bandages inside the kit, an improvement IMO.

I've actually picked up some of the 86 oz. versions to re-pack my car kits.

Yes, there are some overlaps with items in my primary kit (mirror, headlamp, etc.). I thought about this and wanted to have most things in one place to avoid having to look around and remember where things were at.

There are also a few items that are probably not strictly needed (the aforementioned thermometer for example, alcohol pads, more than necessary Steri Strips) but I contemplated the size/bulk/weight and ended up saying "why not".

Note this kit isn't the only one I have around. For example, I have a kit in my office that contains more trauma bandages, etc. in case of an earthquake. Another kit similar to this one in the car, but slightly better stocked. The idea is this should be the minimal I have on me, and depending on the situation, I hopefully can bolster it with additional layers of kits.

Next steps:

Actually, over all I'm pretty happy with the kit the way it is.

That said, after starting to watch the Backcountry Medicine 101 video, I think I might add some duct tape directly to the FAK (I have some in the primary kit) and some more safety pins. Oh, and it did get me itching to put a Sam Splint in the kit for neck immobilization.

Suggestions and comments welcome.

-john

Edited by JohnN (09/07/08 07:36 AM)