After giving this a thought here's my 2¢.....
First I'd go with a blend in/stand out look. Try to look like a tourist, that way you probably will reduce your chances of being approached. For this I suggest a digital camera, portable "walkman" type radio, sunglasses (get a good "sporty" looking pair of safety glasses. UVA/UVB protection as well as protection from debris), touristy looking clothes appropiate for the weather and a fanny pack that has twin bottle holders outside the main compartment.
You now have blending in, keeping in touch with news, eye protection and water issues taken care of. In your fanny pack I'd pack good maps of the area, a rain poncho, good multi-tool, flash light with some spare lithium batteries, some energy bars, spork and the DRPSK along with a small FAK and a dust mask. Grab a p-38 can opener if your multi-tool doesn't have a means of opening cans.
You now have protection form the elements, basic simple first aid, basic tool needs, illumination in case of power failure, navigation (know where your going and all alternative routes as needed), energy replenishment (food) as well as means to aquire and eat more (spork and can opener).
A cell phone to maintain contact with loved ones and spare cash on hand and I think you should be set.

-Bill Liptak