The key concept is "appropriate for the circumstances." Over the years, I find I feel comfortable carrying at least some sort of pocket knife (either SAK or L-tool), a small flashlight (mini-mag or photon), and varying amounts of first aid - I always carry a few bandaids in my wallet and scale up from there depending upon circumstances. When carrying minimal FAK,I always like to know where the big kit is. Sooner or later, you will need to know - case in point - I was at a big archeo meeting (in DC, as a matter of fact) presenting years of research at a big symposium. I heard a dull thud and there was my assistant and best friend in the troes of a grand mal seizure. Other less dramatic situations have occurred over the years, hence I always at least have a bandaid on me. The SAK came in handy because it saved steps and time in a wide variety of situations tightening screws and the like - often outdoors but useful even in office environments. Knowledge and skills are fortunately very lightweight and compact, but some tools are handy. My keychain has a SA Classic, a Photon II, and a whistle, my belt (usually) has a Leatherman. My wallet w/bandaids and a bandana stuffed in the other pocket make me ready for many of life's minor challenges. Scale up from there depending on the situation. But, no, you certainly don't have to cart the "approved stuff" everywhere you go. We all face different situations.