Yes, I suppose he who fights and runs away lives to fight another day. I agree with that ideology, so long as the fight is re-engaged. Discretion is important to the battlefield commander, but sometimes we must realize that a sacrifice is inevitable for the greater good.

Fear, to me, is a form of respect. They may not respect who you are, but they damned sure will respect what you are capable of.

If you base your outcome entirely on the moment, then of course the chance of fomenting change is minimal. When facing a determined enemy, it is likely that you will suffer loss for an extended period before change becomes even a possibility. Sometimes it takes a hundred thousand dying before others will step up and say enough is enough. If a few brave men weren't willing to die for the cause in Lexington or somewhere near San Antonio, I suppose we would still be a commonwealth, or Texas would still be a Mexican state.

Retreat isn't necessarily cowardice, if you have a plan to recover. Sometimes you make a stand, sometimes you buy some time. Knowing when to do either for best effect, that's the difference between a famous general and a notorious one (or maybe a dead one).

Political agendas usually take more time and greater sacrifice before change can come. If sacrifices aren't made, usually in the form of people making a hopeless stand, then don't expect things to ever change.