Originally Posted By: Fitzoid
Definitely interested!

What exactly is "self-sufficiency?" Off the grid? Enough land for farming? Defendable from hoardes of invading zombies, searching for late-night brain snacks?

I plan to make this my first post.. but I`ll touch on it quick.

1. Well water, w/backup geny and/or separate hand pump. (Will run on propane.) 1000g water tank.

2. Irrigation water rights if possible to use for a pond that can have fish in it.

3. Enough land to have a nice sized garden.

4. Enough land to have chickens, rabbits, and maybe some goats.

5. Not on a busy road, dead-end road preferred. (So far every house has been on a dead-end road, and some 1 way the last 1 mile) Prefer a property we can shoot on, but this is proving harder to accomplish than we'd hoped.

6. Enough sun exposure to add solar panels, and enough wind exposure to get some of the newer style wind turbines.

7. Enough garage/storage/shop space to park the vehicles, 4x4s, and have a 'shop' to work out of (I have many metal working tools, and plan to add wood).

8. Wood and/or pellet stove. (Separate or 1 as backup, if only 1 stove it must be wood.)

9. Propane. Water heater, stove, heater.

The idea is to be fine if the power goes down or the city water goes down. At time of move in we wont be doing the solar or wind so we'd be w/out lights but the idea is to still have water, hot water, and heat the house.

I have a lot more details, and probably forgot some stuff.. I hope to have this posted on my blog soon smile