dweste,

Your concerns are so palpable and real to me. My business failed and I had 6 digits in personal exposure. A lot of it was caused by things that I couldn't have known. Its amazing what combinations of crapola the powers that be can throw at you, much of which is most accessible to you as a pdf on their computer (read: not very). I won't go into details, but things are WAAAY more complicated for the modern businessman than ever before.

My experience was really nasty and affected me quite badly. I had some similar thoughts and observations to what you are having. I wish you the best.

Now, looking back on it 5 years later, it was a fantastic learning experience. I'm glad its over.

One quote I found helpful is one that is very famous, and you've probably heard before. But I'll say it anyway. As Winston Churchill once said... "When you are going through hell, keep Going."

I kept going. I live a much more peaceful life now. I have 4 kids. I no longer am wholly responsible for my own income. I have a much lower paying job which affords me massive flexibility (I am the only employee of this company in the united states). I adventure way more often than I used to (thanks blast), and I will finish my chicken coop tomorrow.

Its impossible for me to paint the picture in a few words, but I think you get it.

You can be the pheonix, too. And you will be happier for it. Keep going.

Edited by clarktx (08/07/08 04:38 AM)
Edit Reason: unclear