Still I think its good to dispel myths on treating snake bites as they come up. I polled some Tenderfoot Scouts during a basic First Aid session a while ago, 75% thought they would surely die from any snake bite. One suggested the old cut cross-hatches into the bite and attempt to suck out the venom, the others basically were prepared to pray for the poor hiker to meet their maker. Now I realize this is very region-specific, the west side of the Cascades doesn't have any venomous snakes at all, but you have to work really hard to get the the Western and diamondback rattlers on the other side of the mountains to try to bite you at all, and even if they did, basic precautions should make the bite treatable and definitely survivable. NOLS advice works really well out here - supplement it with good sense advice, like making noise as you walk, carry a stick or pole to stir your surroundings, wear boots and gaiters in snake country, and don't put your hand where it doesn't belong. I have more often stepped over rattlers on a cold day than encountered ones that were excited enough to announce their presence.