I may be in the minority, but I don't think bartering is silly. Its impossible to anticipate everything you might need. Nor is it possible to store and control everything you might need. If you find yourself coming up short on something, or needing something completely unexpected, the only acceptable way to acquire it is by barter. In a disaster having somethings you would be willing to barter for things you didn't think would be important is a good idea. Ideas that top my list are cheap hard liquors, hotel sized bars of soap, and salt. But plenty of things are possible, what about nails? No one can hurt you with nails (okay, not easily), no one will hurt you for nails, but they may be valuable enough to get I don't know...mason jars for. Plus, they're cheap now.

I also don't see that a small, let me make that clear, small supply of precious metal or something else that concentrates lots of value into a small and universally accepted form is a bad idea. For something truly important, a life or limb saving antibiotic for instance, run of the mill items will not be enough to sway a person.

Likewise, ten tenth ounce Krugerrands would be a way to carry a substantial amount of wealth in an easily transported and concealed form. For people who say gold or silver will be worthless after a large scale disaster I say BS. In the worst circumstances of history gold has proven to continue to be coveted by most, though admittedly not all, people. War zones are one example. I'm not saying everyone should go out and buy Krugerrands to sell in a disaster, but I wouldn't discount the idea to rapidly.