Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
I've heard that some of he civilian repros with Thinsulate are actually better than the military issued ones. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone out there used both and have some "on the ground" experience to share?

Also, not to throw a monkey wrench into anyone's plans, but there are down bags that are lighter than the two pound weight listed on the link that Blast provided. My 32F/0C Western Mountaineering bag weighs 19oz (1lbs, 3oz). It packs small. I unzip it and use it like a blanket if it's warm. Note that lightweight down bags are really expensive. For $21.97 you can't beat the poncho liner.

Thinsulate models are better - I should have mentioned that mine is Thinsulate. At times during my career (formal/standardized schools) I had to use USGI gear, and it wasn't as warm. I'd still take one in a heartbeat, though. Putting it inside the poncho makes it much warmer, as well.

I have an ultra-light bag, too, but unzipped it's maybe 1/3 the size of an poncho liner (not quite as versatile for shade, getting multiple people in, etc.).

C'mon, Blast, go old-school with some woodland camo or tri-color desert instead of that light grey/slightly darker grey #$%^!!! Seriously, you should be well served by a poncho liner, regardless of color. The poncho liner is near and dear to my heart - make sure and let me know how you like it.

Edited by JustinC (07/31/08 01:33 AM)
Edit Reason: Grammatical Correction