In the very long term trading might be a viable option. But until things settle down trade can easily slide into profiteering, exploitation and abusive manipulation.

I think that if your preparing a fairly comprehensive supply base and your staying put, so weight and bulk aren't an issue, that a supply of diapers would have a place. I don't see carrying lots of sizes. I would invest in a good supply of mid-range disposables that do not use gels or other super-absorbents that mat degrade in time just to get people over the first few days. Smaller and larger children would have to make due with creative taping, pins and other field modifications.

After the first week or so, sooner if practical, the disposables would be discontinued and the kids would have to get by on a good stack of washable cotton diapers and safety pins until normal commercial sources reopen.

In a similar vein I would stock a good supply of sanitary napkins and/or tampons.

To avoid any resentments, legal issues these types of supplies would be given away or, at worse, traded on a sliding scale system according to means. People with things to trade don't get them all and those with nothing to trade are not excluded.

The diapers, disposable and reusable, have many uses other than diapering. The disposables are good for mopping up spills. The poly fiber ones are commonly used to soak up oil spills on water. The straight cotton ones are excellent wiping rags and bandages.

Sanitary napkins and tampons are effective, and cost effective, bandaging materials. As long as you don't have to carry them you can't have too many bandages.

Edited by Art_in_FL (07/30/08 09:19 PM)
Edit Reason: the first time the whole message didn't go through.