Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
I believe it comes from Executive Order #12919 which is an amalgum of a bunch of other presidential EOs going quite a ways back. (snip)

I understand, and I have run into this issue before and I am very familiar with this pernicious EO. Please don't think I'm dismissing your point or dodging a reply, but that stuff is so complex and technical that it's pretty hard to discuss in this type of forum. Yes, there is some genuinely potentially very, very dangerous and worrisome stuff there, and many other places besides, that could lead to political disasters up to and including the complete overthrow of Constitutional government and the rule of law as we know it.

But I am referring, as I said, to the run of the mill regional disaster like Hurricane Katrina or the World Trade Center attack, and in very broad, general terms, where American life goes on pretty much as normal in most of the remainder of the country. Nor am I excluding the chance of severe misconduct by a few panicky or opportunistic local idiots or a-holes in the early hours or days of an emergency.

Jeff