Originally Posted By: dweste
While the group is poised to respond to the alpha dog questions, let's put another question in the hopper.

I have survived a dog attack. The critters are dispersed and dispatched as the situation and my opportunities allow. But I have a painful dog bite that includes a fairly deep laceration my forearm and another to my ankle, neither of which seems to have opened an artery.

I am not likely to find any medical care other than self-help. What first aid stuff do I want to have in my kit to deal with those wounds? What should I do?

Just a quick Fitzoid-sanity-check(TM). Medical advice is best sought from a physician. My experience is that medical advice you get on the internet is worth what you pay for it. (I have professional credentials in this area, but I'm speaking just as plain Joe Citizen here.)

There are a lot of old canards in wilderness medicine about having dogs lick wounds to cleanse them. The bacteria in their mouths are far more benign to people than the bacteria in other people's mouths. (I.e., there are few cross-species infections.) Some people even think their saliva has curative properties.

Anyway, I'm sure lots of people will have great ideas here, but you may want to run this by an MD, although they will frequently be loathe to give you self-treatment information, for a variety of reasons.