Originally Posted By: dweste
I forgot that I am highly likely to have on a backpack. I think if I was worried about a dog attack, and I had time, I would take the pack off and try to use it as a shield.

I'd say that using anything that doesn't have one of your body parts under it as a shield is a good call. =)

Quote:

But what then? How do I deal with a dog that has, thankfully, grabbed my back instead of me? How do you persuade a dog to go away? How can you disable a dog so it loses interest in continuing an attack? And if you need to kill it ...?

Have you considered your footwear in this equation? Some steel toed boots can do a lot do dissuade the under-committed type of dog who's just trying to run you off. Dog ribs are about as sensitive as yours or mine. So can yelling basic commands, like "STOP!" "SIT!" and "DOWN!" as if you're the owner.

Quote:

This thread is getting a bit morbid for me, but if I cannot bug in and have to bug out I want to give this serious thought. I am already thinking about its impact on my BOB gear list.

Thanks.

Think about what you'll be carrying, and who you will be traveling with. Your hands should be free and your arms should have good freedom of movement. If you're traveling with a wife or child, then you need to factor them into the equation, as well. Most importantly, you need to train them not to run, which makes them a target.

A can of bear spray on a hip or pack strap is probably a good call. It's legal most anywhere, and if you practice, you can hit a target without unholstering it. Most manufacturers will provide practice cartridges for you to safely practice with. A preemptive strike with pepper spray is a heck of a lot safer for the animal and your conscience should you wonder later if it was necessary.

My personal preference would be pepper spray backed up by a large bore handgun, preferably a .45 auto, loaded with good defensive ammo.