Coming back to this thread, I finally had time to read it in detail, a couple of thoughts come to mind.

If you do buy pepper spray or mace be sure to note the expiration date. The stuff doesn't last forever. The cans can lose pressure and, I have been told, the compound will lose strength. In my mind nothing would so embolden an attacker as having someone pull out a can of mace and at the critical triumphant moment it dribbles out over their hand. Or the compound is so weak it is like eating hot wings.

When a can reaches its expiration date use it for practice and get a new one.

Second, don't be a one-hit wonder. Have a plan-B, an escape, and a sequence for escalating. Make sure your symphony has a second, and a third, movement. Some people make their move and then freeze. Just standing there. Sometimes they get away with it. But sometimes events overtake them and they lose the initiative. Stay active and engaged. Be aware of the wider situation.

Thugs can come alone or in packs. Mace one and you may have to deal with the group. If your lucky they go after an easier target once one has been sprayed.

If not, one of the advantages of a large can with a wide spray is you can hose down a group. Useful to cover your withdrawl and buying you time.

Firearms may not be the end-all of defense. Faced with a gun a gang can circle, build up each others courage and look for an opening. They can play on your reluctance to shoot to close in. Sometimes attempting to sweet talk the victim or make them feel guilty for pulling a weapon when 'they just want to talk'.

Shooting at this stage can also have legal repercussions. You can guarantee that all the kids will have a well rehearsed story about how they were all on their way to register to vote, or church, and without provocation a madman pulled out a gun and started shooting.

Maced their enthusiasm for the game drains. A little pepper spray in the eyes shatters the illusion of their being invulnerable as long as they keep the tension simmering just below a boil. Being non-lethal you can mace when threatened and long before the situation breaks down completely. Played well nobody has to get shot. Nobody dies.

The combination of a pistol in one hand and a large bottle of pepper spray may be a good one in some situations. The pepper spray a compliment to the firearm for borderline situations.