I agree with OBG. If you have done all the weight-saving tricks, then 4 or 5 pound of the right gear may not be too much, weigh it against the likely risks and how you wish to be able to respond to the "unexpected."

Going light or keeping it minimal is one goal. I suppose the ultimate is to walk naked into the world. If all goes well and lucky for you, you do not need a thing but your winning smile. I think I see the outdoor equivalent of this approach occasionally in some of the ultralight backpacking and trail-running discussions.

Being prepared for everything, everywhere, all the time is another goal. I suppose the ultimate is to live “escaping and evading” when you go on foraging runs and spending most of your time hunkered down in a remote, secret, self-contained bunker hidden from the world surrounded by mazes of overlapping defense screens of explosive devices and weapons. If the world never detects you again, I suppose you “win.” I think I see the outdoor equivalent of this approach occasionally in some of the survivalist discussions.

I think most of us find out comfort zone somewhere between those extremes based on our work and family circumstances, our budgets, and our risk tolerance. From this we express our sense of what is appropriate. It is no wonder there is a lot of variation in what particular stuff we think we should bring along to keep it “minimal” in any particular situation.

Perhaps there is a layered approach of preparedness. Perhaps as real world requirements increased, more layers could be added in response. Each layer might be a module.

If we generally agree on what a categories should be addressed in decent urban EDC, for example, then perhaps we could agree that this is the irreducible minimum - you shouldn’t leave home without it. Maybe this is module 1. Perhaps we could agree this stuff should be comfortably tucked away in your normal attire so that it is both unobtrusive and always with you.

Perhaps we could agree on what categories should be added or upgraded to turn your urban EDC into a decent outdoor EDC. Don’t leave camp without it. Maybe this is module 2. Perhaps we could agree this stuff should be as unobtrusive as is comfortable to you and should leave you “hands free.”

Then perhaps we could discuss the appropriate kit for ventures of varying duration, in varying seasons or conditions, and those with goals different than just covering territory on foot, such as fishing or photography, etc. For each there could be a discussion of a reasonably minimal amount of gear.

Edited by dweste (06/18/08 05:11 PM)