Well it's been a while since I posted a 'here's my kit' post and since I just thought of this last night I figured I'd post it this morning and see what popular opinion is before I go out and buy some of these items.

I was packing my BOB and got to thinking that the worst 2 items for me to pack is food and water. I never seem to have enough and they never pack well. Water is heavy and food is awkward and also heavy unless it's freeze dried. I wanted to do away with both as much as possible. This got me to thinking about consumables in an emergency pack and wondered if I could do away with them as much as possible...replacing them with sustainable resources. For the most part I'm trying to keep things simple and light with the goal of being able to sustain for an unknown period of time as best as possible without taking the kitchen sink.

I was up until 3am planning this out. I don't have internet at home right now so it was a real mental exercise...no Google searches to find answers for me.

Here's what I've come up with so far. If there's something in the list which is consumable and not easily replaced in the bush that means I haven't found a suitable (and sustainable) replacement (gear or know how):

• Bag: To Be Determined...One of my many bags will do
  • Knife: Any good knife...I should have an Aito Puukko on order soon.
  • Axe: My Snow & Nealley Penobscot Axe
  • Saw: Bahco Laplander
  • Multitool: Charge TTI. I'm taking the Leatherman plunge...it has everything I need and very little of what I don't.
  • Gear Repair Kit: Put together. Mostly sewing, sharpening, and metal preserving goodies plus some good duct tape.
  • Fishing Pole: 5 section rod with bait cast reel in case.
  • Rifle: Henry Repeating Arms US Survival Rifle (or any compact takedown model)
  • Tacklebox: All the essential fishing goodies, extra line, snare wire, ammo, and any needed maintenance tools for the rifle.
  • Sleep Pad: MEC Kelvin short pad
  • Sleep Kit: Season appropriate sleeping bag in REI minimalist bivy.
  • Rain Gear: Integral Designs Tarp Poncho
  • Shelter: Above poncho with guy lines and UL aluminum pegs
  • Food and water: Crusader canteen kit with extras for preserving, preparing, and seasoning food.(Might add a bottle of everclear and an alcohol stove but this isn't sustainable either). Plus some emergency Katadyne purification tablets as a backup.
  • Cordage: 100' of 330lb test utility cord (I'm out of paracord ATM)
  • First Aid Kit: AMK UL 0.9 plus some extras of just the basics (bandages, gauge, etc) to cover longer term needs
  • Communications: Blackberry Pearl
  • Light: Duracell hand crank radio/flashlight (also charges the Blackberry). Plus Everlite EL8 solar headlamp
  • Fire: Light My Fire Army size firesteel
  • Navigation: Suunto Compass, map, with GPS in phone as backup
  • Toiletries: TP + a few things for sanitary precaution. Plus sunscreen and bug repellant.
  • Clothing Kit: Dry bag with some extra socks and either 1 change of clothes or some extra warm clothes depending on season. Also extras not always worn like gloves, toque, etc.

Any thoughts for improvements? I have all of these things except the Leatherman, the solar headlamp, the first aid kit, and the rifle.