We have a recent addition to the many different chains of supermarkets up here near DC. The recent addition is a chain store called Wegman's. They do things a little differently than other stores and have food stocked by Regions or Ethnicities. The Asian, Indian, and Mexican/South American sections were running very low on rice. The American Food Section (for lack of what to call it with it's Rice -a- Roni and such LOL) was running low on regular bagged rice, but had a lot of boxed, quick rice selections still available.

After seeing what I saw at Wegmen's, I went to Costco to get a look at what they had. Costco was down to their last five 25lb bags of long grain enriched white, two of which were snapped up as I sat there watching. Also, they had about ten 10lb bags of basmati rice left on a palate in the middle of the isle. Other than that, they were completely out of bulk bagged rice. They had added a palate of Uncle Ben's flavored Microwave Rice variety packs, but it was about $7.99 for six two-serving packs. On a side note I overheard the person at check out mention that customers were only allowed 2 bags per check-out.

I didn't check any of the other local supermarkets, but may do so tomorrow just out of curiosity.