Hi MoBOB,

Thanks for reminding me of this shotgun shell container trick.

I have done this in the past but I used a 12ga. hull and a .16ga hull. I used them as matchcases when I was a Scout and I think I still have one in the toolkit of my snowmobile (I should check those matches, that was 30 years ago). I first learned this method from the Bradford Angler book "The Art and Science of Taking to the Woods" (page 276, Homemade Gear). I have the book in front of me now and had forgotten how good a reference it is.

In the case of my Savage 24 combo-gun buttstock storage idea I would have to enlarge the hole to accept the larger 12ga. shell, I will have to measure the available space to do this; or try the trick using smaller gauge shells.

My first thought was to use a thin-walled plastic tube like you used in your recent EDC photopost, or maybe an aluminum cigar tube (think I borrowed that idea from Hacksaw).

At present I am very busy at work and with the youth group so the making of "combo-gun buttstock mini-PSK" may have to wait till the dull days of next January!

Mike