Hi 7point82,

Quote:
A MilSurp Enfield (even with great optics) will post 4" groups at 600 or 8" groups at 1000? Unless I'm mistaken (which is possible I'm not an expert on Enfields by any stretch) I think most folks would be thrilled with getting an Enfield to shoot one MOA after a good deal of work; let alone off the shelf.

The first time I had used a Lee Enfield No4 was when I was about 14 years old on the Local Barry Budden ranges viewable on google maps here at

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=N+56.4823+W+2.7901&ie=UTF8&ll=56.482295,-2.790098&spn=0.00865,0.02223&t=h&z=16&iwloc=addr

There might be some differences in terminology but I'm not really an expert in shooting. A distance group is the maximum distance between the holes made on a target for five individual shots (where the shots landed on the target is of no importance). There might be some differences in defining a group by the expert marksmen over in the US.

Using the iron sights I was getting 4 inch groupings at 200 metres or 220 yards within the first 10-20 rounds I had fired using the standard Lee Enfield No4 again without any special preperations to the weapon. Going on to use the No 4 with a scope was pretty good fun as well. Actually it would have been a Enfield No4 with 3.5 scope not a 4x (as I first mentioned) as in this photo,

45 Royal Marine Commando do most of their live firing at this range in preperation for their tours in Afghanistan. Apparently there have been some complaints about the increased noise by the members of the local Monifieth Ashludie golf course putting them off their aim. whistle