Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Hi Bob,

I like your thoughts on the old Savage 24 in .22/20ga as a survival gun, last summer I bought one in the Camper Companion version. It is very handy and I take it to my camp to hunt grouse in the fall or for vermin control (nuisance porcupines, red squirrels or black bears).

The variety of ammo available (20ga. shot, buckshot or slugs / sub-sonic .22's CB caps to CCI Stingers) help make this combination gun a very versatile, lightweight package.

I have been working on a method to store a very basic mini-survival kit within a plastic tube in the butt of the gun instead of 2 spare shotgun shells. Like most of my projects lately this one has not gotten off the idea stage due to other time commitments. I bought this Savage 24 used and it did not come with the original take-down case, I need to try it in the case for the Marlin Papoose to see if it will fit?

I did have trouble getting the fold-up sight on rifle barrel to hit at point of aim, if I remember correctly I think I ran out of elevation adjustment. I changed the front sight to compensate for this but the plan is to replace the rear open sight with a large diameter peep sight.

I liked the recent post by fs1911 about shotgun barrel inserts, that may turn the 20ga. barrel into a .30-30 or 30/40 Krag and make it a better big game gun. Does anyone have any experience with these inserts in a Savage 24? http://www.mcace.com/Insertsindex.htm

I also have a Rem. 870 Pump 12ga. with a folding stock and 20" Rem. choke, rifle sighted barrel. I often take this on walks in the fall to hunt northern grouse (very dumb birds) while the moose season is on. If I happen on to a calf moose while on my stroll a quick change over to a slug followed by a close stalk, could result in a lot of good eating. I cannot say I am fond of the folding metal stock, although it is more compact for storage. I often just leave the regular synthetic buttstock on as it is more comfortable to shoot with.

Survival firearms are always a fun topic, lots of different opinions!

Mike

Great idea on the storage kit. I have 3-22 and 1 shotgun shell stored in the stock of mine.

I got my Savage 24 for free, My friend that owns a gun shop gave it to me years ago for doing some stuff for him. It’s an old gun, so old it has no serial number stamped into it. It’s in great shape and shoots better then I can hold it.

I have a Marlin 1894 357 Mag lever action rifle and never shoot it any more. I should have sent it back to Marlin to find out why it shoots a 12 ½ inch group at 100-yards. But I never got around to it.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.