Hello Everyone,

I am new to this board, but thought I would check it out based on a recommendation from some guys over at the Kifaru message board (www.kifaru.net). Anyway, I am in the military so I thought I would just throw in a few thoughts on MREs. Some love them some hate them, but if you have to eat them, you can survive on them. Our first rotation to A-stan we had to eat them all the time, but they will give you the energy you need to keep going.

As far as storage, they have a 20 year shelf life, and you are just supposed to inspect every 3 years to make sure that they are not bloated. That would mean that they have gone bad. They are not vacuum sealed, but should have a look like the air was kind of squeezed out of them before sealed. So if they look like a balloon, something is wrong. Also, in an emergency situation, you can survive on only 1 per day, 2 if you are active. They have between 3000-5000 calories each, so eating 3 a day is overkill. Just something to keep in mind when calculating how much you will need.

Hope this helps.

Smackdaddyj