My sleeping bags evolved after a freezing night on a field trip to Anza-Borrega in one of those cheap car bags. I went out with my very next G.I. bill payment and looked at bags at my local, and vry knowledgeable dealer. He had top of the line down bags and I could choose either cobalt blue or scarlett red, very popular colours. As an aside, he mentioned having two four season rated bags I could have for $40 LESS than the regular bags, with the caveat they came in this peagreen colour and were discontinued for that reason.I bought the bag, a Berkeley made Trailwize.I slept warm for 20 odd years in it until body oils, repeated compression and time took their toll. I recycled it one spring by cutting the bag open and watching numerous greatfull little birdies make off with prime goosedown nesting material. My next bag, for horseback packing was, and is a canvas role up affair with a Hudson's Bay blanket and sewn in pad.My hiking bag is a Wiggys. Again, everybody gets to crawl into a very personal choice at day's end and live with it. And yes, mimicking Chris Janowslie I in fact did submerge my Wiggys and crawl into it. Hte bag will in fact dry out.