Originally Posted By: dweste
Sleeping system components are tools. Different users like different tools. All users can explain and justify their tool choices, otherwise they would choose different tools.

Few users have the resources or inclination to conduct scientifically valid tests before or after they choose a given tool. Each of our experiences, observations, and those anecdotally related by others about sleep system components almost certainly do not amount to statistically valid data.

So what! We choose based on imperfect information because that is usually the practical, if not only, choice that we have to navigate the world. We do the best we can, like checking out our experience with others we believe we can trust to be reasonably honest – even folks on the ETS forum!

Wiggy’s or not Wiggy’s, that’s the question? The answer is clear: sometimes for some people.

For a largely fair weather distance-per-day-critical Appalachian Trail trip with an every-ounce-is-critical group a Wiggy’s bag makes little sense. For a largely foul weather distance-is-handled-by-vehicle trip, or other situations where wear-and-tear, not carrying, is most relevant [ like when you are at your survival retreat], a Wiggy’s bag makes more sense.

Is a Wiggy’s bag the best in the world for some conditions? As always, it depends upon who you ask and what the criteria is for judging “best”.

Let’s just enjoy the discussion.

For what it’s worth, my car kit includes a Wiggy’s bag. My bugout bag does not usually include a sleeping bag; only heat sheets and bivys. My recreational pack includes a down bag for fair weather and, yep, a Wiggy’s for foul. If I find and can afford something better, I’ll use it. – and I’m guessing you will., too!

Thank you! That is the best, most sensible "tie it all together and make sense out of it" statement that I've seen about the down vs. synthetic debate that I've ever seen. To Wiggy's or not to Wiggy's? Tell me the scenario, and then I'll answer.

Synthetics in hard use or foul weather scenarios make all the sense in the world. I've kept my old 1970's Alpine Products Polarguard bag, dirty and de-lofted as it is, just to have a "beater bag" that I can use as a loaner or do whatever without having to baby it or worry about it getting abused or stolen. It's original -15F rating is probably now about a +45F rating, but for a sleep over for the nephews or summer use it's great.