With respect to Craig and Chris, who each bring up good points about not running out and buying something you don't have the knowledge to use, I fail to understand the hostility towards those interested in radiation safety issues. While I agree that we don't need people runing out digging shelters like in the 60's, there are some appropriate steps that people can take in the event of a radiological emergency. Now maybe I am biased because I'm a Radiation Safety Officer and Certified Health Physicist in real life, and I deal with it every day.

Fear generally comes from ignorance, not stupidity. If you stifle discussion of these issues, you only further that ignorance or send people to nonsense web sites written by 14 year olds and bad sci-fi writers. You shouldn't ask me about a complex medical question, because I'm not a doctor. By the same token, you shouldn't be taking radiation safety advice from someone who isn't a health physicist.

We discuss earthquakes and natural disasters all the time. While a radiological event may be man-made, I do not see why we shouldn't discuss it here. If Doug and Chris truly feel this is inappropriate, then I would invite people to contact me privately with their questions. I will do my best to steer you clear of all the mis-information out there.

Regards,

Greg