Originally Posted By: hikermor
What is the total weight? There are quite a few things where equally effective, but lighter, items are available. What are the contemplated weather and terrain conditions for which you are preparing?

I have found cyalumes useless after even moderate long term storage. What will work as USCG approved life vest markers. I would get a headlamp and carry a smaller number of lithium batteries - Lighter, more efficient, and will work in colder weather. I would prefer an appropriate sleeping bag to two wool blankets - much more efficient. If you are carrying dehydrated backpacker meals and water, you might as well save money and carry canned goods (after opening, these can be cooking containers). I really prefer energy dense foods which do not need cooking - well packaged sausages and cheeses, Clif bars, trail mix and nuts. If I am going for lightweight, I would go for an alcohol stove, but folks endlessly argue the merits of Esbit, trioxane, and alcohol.

I rarely go out the door without at least a zip-front synthetic jacket and a light windbreaker-this varies with the season and the terrain. For many western localities, a little bit of rope is an absolute requirement.

Unless you are looking at severe conditions, your poncho will make a perfectly fine shelter. My preference is to find a good rock shelter, but that depends upon the terrain in which you are traveling.

I wouldn't bother with either a trowel or shovel - you can always find a field expedient - usually a handy rock or stick, supplemented, if necessary, with the canteen cup.

These suggestions are just minor tweaking - mostly reflective of personal preference. You will be in the game just fine with what you have listed.

No idea on the weight; no scale at home! Roughly 30 lbs I'd say, without the water (add 4lbs for that). Intended terrain, at present, is the Detroit area (essentially a rolling metropolis for many dozens of miles). If you've never been here, it eventually goes into forest, with lots of towns/houses along the way. Weather: summer, potentially humid, maybe 80-90s. winter, snowy, this year we've seen down to about 0 F. The kit at present is in it's "winter" configuration.

I agree with you on the sleeping bag; in fact I've got the Sub-kilo by REI (down, about 2lbs), and a synthetic warm weather bag, both sitting in a pile next to this bag. The wool blankets are there mainly in case I have to GO. I'd rather not scrunch up my 2 bags for potentially months at a time. If I have 10 minutes before I need to go, there's a VERY good chance my sleeping bag and 1-man tent would be packed in exchange.

As for the headlamp, good idea. Again, I have one in my camping gear. But it probably would be good to get a small one just to toss in there; I think Walmart has $10 little ion ones. The cyalumes are getting old, so maybe I'll dump them.

During the winter, I added a fleece jacket to the pack. However, it's too tight in this bag to carry the wool blankets AND fleece. So I guess I'm just going to either A) strap it to the outside, or B) grab an extra jacket as I rush out of the house... if I remember!