I know everyone here has a different area of expertise so to speak, so I am sure someone may be able to offer some light on this subject.

one of my favorite things to do in summer is extream mountain biking. I havent went for a while but I want to get back into it this summer. I currently use a Mongoose fireball bike but will soon be in the market for a new one. as such I was wondering if anyone here enjoys riding trails, jumping over rocks, and generally getting muddy while trying desparately not to beat yourself into a bloody pulp on a mountain bike. If so maybe someone can recomend a new bike for consideration.

I need one which is light enough to carry short distances, with a good strong frame and good shock absorbers. I like the Mongoose but there may be better chioces out there. Money is not the biggest issue but I would like to keep it under 1000 bucks.

As well I am looking for a sadle bag or system to attach to the frame in which I can add my basic survival gear for a day trip. I used to carry it in a back pack but this kinda screws up your balance a bit. I usually carry such items as medical items. food, shelter, tire repair, you know.the normal stuff for a day trip survival kit. I dont want to bore anyone with a list that I am sure was repeated a thousand times here on the forum. I have added a few special items like Anti-bear spray and my Iridium to the list. whatever system I get to secure these items will have to be small enough not to hinder the balance of the bike any more than necessary.

two years ago I was alone and wiped out really bad riding a steep trail in the rain. I broke a thumb and tore a huge hole in my forearm, as well as a lot of scrapes and bruises Getting back to my truck was a nightmare, I did not have enough med items on me so I plan on not making that mistake again. I also saw bears a few times. they usually pay me no heed but I am in their back yard and thus take extra precautions when in bear country. you never know.

any one here have any suggestions for a new bike and carry system? thanks