Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Originally Posted By: JIM
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Originally Posted By: JIM
As suggested, a headlamp would be good. I would remove the purification-straw, because you've already got Mp-1 and the effectiveness of those straws are questioned.

Maybe add a head-net and small saw-blade?

No, leave the straw in. They ain't effective against viruses but they are useful for filtering particulates out.

That's what I wasn't sure about. I believe there's a lot of discussion regarding those straws?

Filter straws seem typically to have a filter of 2-3 microns. Viruses are 0.5 to 1 micron. So they are ineffective against viruses. Therefore chlorification is required first.

MP-1 it then drink through the filter. MP-1's are very effective but for emergency use two layers of purification is no bad thing.

Virusses are even smaller than that. 0.2 Micron is considerd the smallest size bacteria, virusses are simply too small to filter out. But than again virusses are considerd as a relative small risk in western europe and north america.
I personally don't have any problem with drinking filtered water in western europe (from a proper water filter), without mixing in purification chemicals.