I never really understood the desire for an assisted opener. I played with one once in a store. One of the Kershaws (a Chive?) Anyway, that thing went off with such a flourish that it startled/scared me. I said I wouldn't want one in my pocket where it could accidentally get pressed by a keyring and go off. The salesman said it had a safety lock on it. Which pretty much defeats the purpose of the high speed assist, if you have to first take off the safety. I've never had any circumstance where I couldn't manually flip open a Spyderco (or any other folder with a thumb stud/hole) fast enough.

I'm all for gun and knife rights, but honestly, I have to agree that these assisted opening things are only a small step away from a switchblade. They're probably handier than a switchblade - just as fast, but better made and more durable. I don't necessarily agree that switchblades need to be banned, but since they are, it's not that far-fetched for some people to consider assisted openers the same as switchblades.