Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
The more I read about these stoves the more I want one...and the more I keep thinking that between my Optimus Crux and Vargo Ti alcohol stove, I have everything I need. It's hard to argue with the dependability of those two.

Interesting. I bought a Crux this past summer and have had a good experience with it.

I've thought about buying a Vargo Ti alcohol stove. I'm wondering if you could share some more about your experience with it? I was thinking I could use it in lower altitude in mild to hot weather conditions. Potentially a nice weight savings since one doesn't have to carry the steel canisters. Sounds like you're really satisfied, yes?

For winter or high altitude, I pretty much still use my MSR Whisper light. I bought the thing in the late 80's, and it's still going strong. I've never had it jam on me, thank God. I do typically carry a repair kit, but I still haven't opened the repair kit. The "O" rings, the leather cup, etc. do need to be replaced every 5? years. I last did major maintenance on my Whisperlite in 2001, and it's running fine. I did replace the "O" ring on the fuel tank in 2006. I guess I'm just lucky that I've not had jams. Mine is the older version, the kind before they came out with the shaker jet. I'd better buy a new repair kit and always make sure I bring a jet cleaner.