Originally Posted By: Arney
Interesting, purposely creating a bow wave is actually a water fording technique? I had learned a long time ago that a common reason why cars stall in water is because their owners drive too fast, which forces water into the enclosed engine compartment from the front or splashes up from below, which then chokes the air intake, causes electrical issues, etc.

That technique can help when the water level is at or near the level of the air intake, it will actually lower the water level in the engine compartment enough to give you some added space around the air intake. What most people do is throw a tarp in front of the radiator to block off the opening, then drive through the water at a consistant speed to create a wave in front of the vehicle. The tarp will block the water from pushing through the front, and drop the level directly behind it. It's kind of like the eddies that are created behind large rocks in a river, the water level will be lower on the downward side. You don't want to speed through the water to create a big splash, just maintain enough speed to create that wave.

If you're at that point where the water is near your hood level, I'd recommend not driving through it. But it could help in an emergency and you had no other choice and were forced to cross.

As a general rule, I'd drive any car through water level lower than the center of the axles. Above the axles and below the top of the tires I'd start to worry. Anything above the tires I'd be really careful and wouldn't try it unless I was really prepared.