Yep, the zen moment for me usually comes after I assess my needs beforehand, then go through boxes and bags of gear looking for those things which I feel will be of the greatest benefit if TSHTF in the particular situation. It is really just tailoring my EDC to what is anticipated. The further I get away from my civilized routine, the more likely I am to have to depend on more stuff, and to adapt to new conditions.

My normal routine has me travelling in very familiar surroundings, with a low expectation of risk, and a vast knowledge of the items of opportunity available to me and the possible conditions I would face should something go wrong and I have to switch to survival mode. As I move away from my routine, I have to re-evaluate my needs and re-equip/re-orient myself to capitalize on different sets of opportunities. Logic dictates that I cannot equip and prepare for every and any conceivable outcome, but I can, with a set minimum of preparation, be ready to face all but the absolute worst possibilities with reasonable assurance of being able to react positively.

Practice using the tools and supplies you value, then learn to do it with less, or to adapt elements from the environment to meet the same need, even if will not be as efficient. Knowing what needs to be done, then doing it, then doing it under less ideal conditions is how you get good at surviving.