With formal wear i'm surprised you didn't include a pen (formal situations would warrant something that looked nice - don't have to be expensive). For me, anything business or formal requires a pen. On that note, a small notepad doesn't hurt (trying to remember some body's name from the night before after 6 glasses of champagne isn't good ;-) ). I personally carry a small moleskine with me.

Also in formal events, having a nice supply of 5 and 10 dollar bills gets you great service, even at the open bar. Every time you get a drink, drop a 5 dollar bill down and when you come back they remember your drink and will skip over people to serve you. Little tips through out the night will make the evening go better and personally consider this a form of EDC. Besides, nice to have cash for a cab ride home ;-).

And I agree with Jim, a flashlight would be up there for me for EDC at any event. But don't have it on your car keys (possible valet situation), but have one in your pockets somewhere that you can have easy access to.

Hope you had a good time!

Kris

btw: nice knife kc2ixe!