Pardon the pun, but I'm really thinking of a good wood plane. Why, you ask? Because, after reading these forums for a while, I'm convinced that most of us would prefer to bug in rather than out. Based on that assumption and the one that the most probable reason for bugging in would be in response to a natural 'disaster' I think it would be smart to have a collection of tools to make repairs without electricity.

I have my own collection of cordless tools, pnuematic nail guns and the like. But if a bad ice storm or hurricane took down the grid for an extended period (that's happened here in the past) those tools wouldn't be much help beyond any existing charge in the batteries. I suppose could add a generator but that's costly and requires regular maintenance, not something I'm good at. But I do keep a good set of hand tools that would allow me to make necessary damage repairs, or board up the place if necessary.

Here's my suggested list of tools to have in the house, comments and suggestions welcome.

claw hammer
rubber mallet
flat pry bar
medium crow bar
set of screw drivers, straight and philips, small and large
locking pliers
Crescent wench
pipe wenches (s.m.l)
crosscut handsaw
back saw
hand drill and bits
auger and bits
assorted nails and screws
assorted lag bolts
heavy duty stapler
duct tape
wood glue
sandpaper
# 4 or #5 jack plane
small block plane
metal file
wood rasp
assorted clamps (wood, 'c', spring, etc.)
straightedge
speed square
folding rule and/or tape measure

I'm sure there are things I'm missing but with this lot I can fix most things about my house. I've never lived in house that was less than 100 years old and because of that I've managed over the past 5-plus decades to amass a pretty good collection of tools based on need and my never ending quest to have the absolute perfect tool for every job (need a putting chaser or a tool for setting glazing points?).

Most of the members here will have some or most iems on this list already. Some things like quality planes or hand drills can be hard to find these days but estate auctions and garage sales are good places to start looking to round out your collection. If you really want to drool check out the Garrett Wade website and order up one of their catalogs. Like a Victoria Secrets catalog for us old married guys.

Ain't giving up my Dewalt's anytime soon but sometimes the sweet sound of plane gliding thru hardwood just makes my day.

Take care, Andy