Originally Posted By: Grant

I wanted to say "How about some duct tape" or "You really should carry (fill in the blank)", but in the end I kept my mouth shut. This is his thing, and it isn't that weak an EDC for a suburban teenager.

Another forum I frequent (about paintball) had a thread like this asking what everyone carried on their person. In general the male teenager's EDC consisted of a wallet, phone, and maybe car keys if they were old enough to drive.

It was funny though, to see that those who lived in city/suburban areas had much less of an EDC than those who lived more out in the country. Those who live further out wouldn't dream of leaving their home without a pocket knife and maybe a lighter. They weren't very well received by the "city" kids though. (i.e. "What do you need a knife for? You going to stab someone?") The thread almost had to be closed when one guy in his 20's posted up his EDC and it included a 9mm CCW. Kind of sad to see that so many people were adamantly against being prepared with anything more than a cell phone. I guess being prepared isn't "cool."

I'd say your son is way ahead of most adults, never mind teenagers. He has most of the basic stuff, he's lacking the most in a method of making fire and a cutting implement. (Which he probably can't carry either in school right now anyway.) I'm sure you can persuade him to carry those things when he gets a little bit older. whistle