My teenage son tends to be more than a little skeptical about "survivalist" issues, viewing an interest in such issues as little more than an eccentric hobby, like collecting miniature toys or keeping bees (no offense intended to all you toy collectors and beekeepers out there). After visiting another site (NOT this forum) over several days his reaction was "These guys are preparing more and more obsessively for events that are less and less likely. Who is ever going to need this stuff?". On the other hand, he is concerned with basic preparedness, believing that people should be prepared for the rough edges that we all occasionally rub up against while going through our daily lives. When we were talking about this last night, he mentioned that experience had taught him to be prepared for particular things, and that he always carried some stuff with him when he was out (school, movies, hanging with friends, etc.). In effect, this was his EDC, although he would never think to call it that. So, here's what one fourteen year old carries every day on his person.

In a Maxpedition Urban wallet:
-1 Wet-Nap cleansing wipe
-1 antiseptic towlette
-1 1.75 x 4 adhesive bandage
-1 .75 x 3 adhesive bandage
-2 extra strength Tylenol
-2 sheets Rite-in-the-Rain note paper
-1 safety pin
Laminated card with various contact phone numbers
Varying amounts of cash (I suspect never more than $10)

On a keychain:
-housekey
-Photon micro light
-Jet Scream whistle

In his pockets:
-cell phone
-large bandana
-all weather pen

When I asked him if he ever used this stuff, he said that during a big storm last week he used the Photon light when the power failed at his friends house, and that he used both an antiseptic towlette and a large adhesive bandage on a friend who crashed his bicycle and cut his shin.

I wanted to say "How about some duct tape" or "You really should carry (fill in the blank)", but in the end I kept my mouth shut. This is his thing, and it isn't that weak an EDC for a suburban teenager.