I realize I'm chiming in a bit late on this post, but here are a few of my thoughts. I'm far from an ultaliter and will never likely get my pack weight down to that level, in large part as I do not desire to do so for a variety of reasons. That said, I have been successful at replacing heavier gear with lighter (but by no means cutting edge) gear. For example, I got rid of my old polarguard bag and bought a down bag (used, vintage piece on ebay). In the process I saved several pounds. I also found lighter raingear (Land's End jacket and thrift store pants). I chose a smaller and lighter pack (again a vintage piece from ebay). I use short gaiters rather than knee high gaiters. I have gone to actually weighing out food portions and cutting back on excess food. The list goes on and on. I don't weigh my gear so I can't come up with a before and after total weight but the difference adds up after a bit. I'm no less prepared now than before, but my pack weight is noticeably less heavy than in the past. Lower pack weight, up to a certain point, does not have to be a function of leaving everything at home and only carrying the latest and greatest.