It's probably heresy to say it here but I have gotten away from the PSK over the years. I pretty much just have the things in my wilderness pack and my survival knife. The knife has all the stuff I can't live without. Everything on the knife is a scaled down version of things in the pack, for the most part.

It's an airforce survival knife with a rubber sleeve over the sheath under which is all the stuff I wouldn't want to live without. I figure if I've lost that knife, I have also lost the pants as well and that would be a far greater emergency for I would fear the embarassment of a rescue.

I don't go into the wilderness here without my pack. I usually go into the wilderness to practice survival skills (including food gathering) so I take the bare essentials I'll need. I often go by myself. I always take a cell phone.

To my way of thinking a PSK that is always carried on the person would have to be justified by a lifestyle that could easily put one in the wilderness unexpectedly. If I am going anywhere near, through, or over wilderness I throw the pack in the vehicle. Some people here think I'm a nut but the contents of that pack have saved the day enough times that the people in my life have stopped making comments. I'm in and out of the stuff enough that to have it all in a neat PSK would be a pain. Most of my stuff is in heavy duty ziplocks in the pack. Mac