TrusBx,

I think the conversation may be stumbling over differing defintions of exactly what a PSK is, and how it's use affects the definition.

For instance, to my way of thinking a PSK inside a backpack (or horse pack) is probably redundant and, if used routinely, not really a PSK at all. To me a "survival kit" is not just supplemental gear, but the minimum I absolutely want to have with me if I'm separated from the pack and my gear. My definition is a kit for true emergencies only, when you really have nothing else.

As such, it's hard enough forcing the self-discipline to keep one ALWAYS on my person, without multiplying it by two or three. It seems to me that talking about multiple "kits" and not-really-essential items is muddying the role it was intended to serve.

When I say that there are items I would not include in the kit, I'm not saying that I would voluntarily do without those items, either in civilization or the wilderness. I carry some reserve food for the unexpected when backpacking . I also carry, as I said, fishing gear and a first-aid kit. By not including them in the kit itself I'm not saying that I'd voluntarily do without, just that I don't include them in the list of absolutely-needed-for-survival gear that I'm not willing to take ANY risk of being parted from. So, to me, other pouches and containers that I'm willing to leave in the pack, or desk drawer, or commute bag, don't qualify. That's just supplemental gear, and mostly it is subject to use in less-than-emergency conditions.