When I head for the hills for a few days it is usually to either practice my survival skills or to teach my daughter (11) or other young people that are interested. Sometimes we just camp (Tents, bags, BP stove) and other tmes we go with the bare essentials and improvise (Tarp/Poncho, fire, etc).

Either way I always stress the importance of carrying the basics should you be forced to spend the night or stay longer than you planned.

Food gathering, eating for that matter, is not essential in a short term situation. I like to be able to fish and trap becuase I like to. I also carry a "wrist rocket" slingshot for the same reason. Critters are tasty.

I have also been in a "survival situation" in which food was a definate issue. I'll relate the story here later. Nobody was going to die in our ordeeal but we were all reduced to scant rations and had to partially live off the land. Fishing gear fed our group.

The only food related item that I make sure I have with me is salt. I know for a fact that I loose a great deal of it and am subject to severe cramps after a day or two of heavy perspiration (We got lots of that here). My personal kit is full of little salt packets stashed away here and there. In my pack I usually have a bottle of electrolyte replacements tablets as well (buffered salt).

Mac