Ahh, how much moreso out in the wild? Imagine the hygenic difficulties associated with cooking food up at elk camp for a week, or two. Even the best of coolers won't last you that long. How about the old chuckwagon days, when they had no refrigeration, and often not even enough water to cook and clean proper. You find out real quick, not everything has to get washed off. Fire can do a pretty good job if you know how to use it right.

Typically I would run three jelly boilers on the stovetop or fire for dishwashing. The first was the soapy water, the second the rinse, and the third the sterilizer, with plenty of commercial grade sterilizer agent and as hot as I could stand to put my hand in. Having worked as a dishwasher while in high school at a smorgasboard type restaurant, I learnt how to do the three sink system pretty well.

Even so, a typical meal for a crew of 8 would take at least 7 gallons of water if I used enamel plates and cups and metal flatware. We switched to paper and plastic and it still took 7 gallons of water once a day to clean the utensils, mixing bowls, etc (I had to stock enough utensils and such to do three meals between washes). That didn't include the cooking liquid, such as for pasta or rice. Then there was also the water needed for washing hands and face before each meal, which took at least a gallon every meal if everyone was frugal about it.

If I had my druthers, my next home kitchen would be stainless steel counters, tiled walls and floor, and big deep stainless steel sinks with their own water heater, and maybe an industrial style dishwasher machine. Of course, that might be a bit much for just me and the wife, but at least I know how to make that work. I'll add that to the list that includes the 10 gallon Hobart mixer, the Willams Sonoma Gas range and double oven, and the walk-in refer/freezer.