Two weeks ago, on a Saturday afternoon, I attempted to close a wooden-framed window in my house (can't have anything but, and yes, I hate historical districts). Window frame bound up, and I gave it a _little_ tap to encourage it to close the rest of the way...

...window shattered. Self bleeding profusely from inside right upper arm. Grabbed pressure point, listened to DW asking "Are you OK?", said, "Don't think so, grab the first aid kit."

Finally took a look, I had a nasty 6cm gash and could see muscle at the bottom of it. Not pleasant. Instructed DW on how to open battle dressings & apply them. Soaked two through (anyone know off hand how much blood a military field dressing (old style) will hold?)--one dressing was not in house FAK but in car FAK, had to have DW go fetch it. Ended up being twelve stiches; 8mm from artery and about 1mm from tendons and muscle. Not to mention a 6mm gash on left hand which added to the confusion (Where's the blood coming from _now_?!).

Point being: an "ordinary" household accident was darn near _lethal_ (if I had not been concious, and artery had been nicked) due to lack of familiarity w/ house FAK by DW, and I have since depleted said kit severely based on follow-up care.

Notes to self:

1) Windows break, don't "tap up" on them. Glass is inherently stressed.

2) DW needs training on first response, and use of the various and sundry FAK items (her idea of first aid for a cut stems from years of bumming around CA and Mexico: pour strongest alcohol available on it, and wrap it in a bandanna).

3) You can only instruct bystanders and/or perform suturing on yourself when you are in shock. After the shock wears off, all bets are off. Your mileage may vary.

4) Don't go to work the next day and rip your stiches out.

5) Glazing compound is a PITA to work with (second only to glazier's points), and windows are not designed to be replaced while still installed. Need precut plywood blanks for all window sizes in house, with predrilled holes for screws.

6) Need to restock kit with a trauma dressing that is designed for one-hand use. Not impressed with current offerings (Israeli and Olaes bandages). Any ideas here?

7) Non-stick pads aren't if the wound bleeds through. Coating them w/ antibiotic ointment helps.

8) You can never have too many rolls of Kerlix.

9) At least the scars match the tatoos...

After twenty years in the Army, and working in a hospital (on equipment--got tired of being a medic) I thought I had an adequate FAK and training. This incident has taught me that a) I am not an "Army of One" and b) having a room full of medical supplies (literally) doesn't mean squat if you don't have/run out of the "One Thing" that matters _for that emergency_.

On a side note, please be advised that a field dressing has a shelf life. If it's been stored in the heat (car), I'd give it a year. If a controlled environment, maybe five. Gauze dry-rots, as I found out smile

Makes it fun when you have to tweezer cotton fibers out of a healing wound smile

Yes, everything's healing fine now, thanks for asking.