Inspired by members here, I started playing "What would you do if..." with my two oldest. One school age, the other almost school age. They each got to take a turn, and if they got stumped, the other could offer suggestions too. We'd play in the car most often. Problem is that they liked the game so much that I began to get myself stumped for different questions/situations!

I try to make the quick, short lessons a normal occurrence. When we roast marshmallows in the backyard fire bowl, and the kiddos remark about how dangerous fire is, I redirect them by telling them that fire is a good thing, an important thing, but you have to be careful with it and respect it. I mention that it can keep us warm and cook food and boil water. Enough of those kinds of lessons, and they stick. Sue is right; the attention span of the youngins' is quite short, but keeping things fun, and being repetitive with the information is the best way to go. I'm a teacher, and recently I've been doing a lot of subbing with early childhood age kids. They like the repetition, and when they hear something enough, they remember it.

Only problem with my kids is that their fingers aren't strong enough for them to open their "My First SAK" yet frown

Stay after it, keep it fun, and talk to them constantly! And look forward to those questions that show they are catching on!