Originally Posted By: verber

Now to general issues.... There has been a lot of misconceptions about ultralight backpackers on this thread....... because an ultralighter isn't bring enough stuff for YOU to feel comfortable doesn't means that they are uncomfortable.

--Mark

Finally, someone with some sense. I had been reading this thread since the beginning wondering how many of the people criticizing this article had ANY experience with ultralight hiking, or even regular hiking in general? Seems like they're quick to jump on the bandwagon in the bashing if someone even remotely suggest not carrying a piece of equipment they have. There is a lot of criticism based on assumption and just plain misinformation. Sadly, it also seems like the general tone of this forum has shifted more into the "more gear = more prepared" territory, with a lot opinions from keyboard commandos sitting in front of their computer screens. Before people with start commenting on the stupidity of other people's choices, it might be helpful if they were more knowledgeable on the subject.

I am probably the furthest thing you can get from an ultralight hiker, but that's a personal choice. I carry some gear just because it makes me feel comfortable, not necessarily because I need to. For example, I always carry a fixed blade knife with me at all times, but in the last couple decades, I have never really NEEDED to use it. Yes I've used it, but using it is different than needing it. I could have easily adapted without it. Same with my first aid kit, my space blanket, my firesteel and a lot of other gear. I could get along fine without most any of it, even in an emergency, I will find a way to make do without it. The only reason I really carry equipment is to make me feel better, so I'm not going to criticize someone who chooses to go without it. I know there are people out there who would fare much better than me in a survival situation with much less equipment, if they've got the knowledge and experience to do that, I'd rather learn from them rather than making fun of them.