Hi Jim,

I have hiked with both a Sat. Phone and PLB (plus traditional signals) but only on short duration trips, I agree with you they are heavy and very rarely needed; but put one to use in an emergency situation (especially involving one of your children or children you are responsible for) and they are light as a feather.

Most of my long distance trips involve canoeing where the extra weight of these electronic devices is negligible on the portages.

Judging by the news reports of the fire situation in Calif. right now it is no wonder flares are banned! Flares are not banned in Ontario but fireworks are banned in our Parks. Northern Ontario is a world of interconnecting waterways, we often have Restricted Fire Zones areas declared due to dry conditions but a flare shot over a lake to summons help in an emergency is an appropriate action (everyone who fires a flare is still responsible to be sure the remains are extinguished).

The backcountry areas I frequent have decent FM radio coverage, especially at night to find out about approaching bad weather or forest fire alerts; some local radio stations even have a service called "Campers Call" that allows people to broadcast short messages to others in the field. Cell phone coverage is iffy but for some reason in certain remote places it works?

The reason I bring up the topic of wilderness communication equipment is due to the frequency each year in our area that emergencies occur in remote locations and there is no quick, reliable means of outgoing contact with authorities.

Good discussion,

Mike