Back in the late 80s and early 90s, we would backpack into the Olympics and the Cascades often, usually for a week or so at a time, and averaged about 7 to 10 miles a day with 40 lb packs each. Dad was in his 40s and my brother and I were in our 20s. I've not been up backpacking as much since I started a family, except the occasional elk hunt, which fetches me a good 5-10 miles a day with rifle and gear, probably not 40 lbs anymore, but if I shoot one, then it is a big hump to pack out the quarters all day and night.

I have seen folks up in the same areas jogging the same trail and route in a day that we spent a week on. They pass us going up one day, then pass us going the other way the next. Now we took those trips because it was a nice escape and we had the time and gumption to go take a hike. If you hunt elk, then you can expect to cover many miles a day scouting the herd. In any case, getting up in the "Thules" so to speak need not require an expedtion. That's what I bought a 4WD for. I can get to within walking distance of scenery, terrain, and animals not much different from what you describe and show. The trick is to find those pristine places that aren't so obvious that everyone on the road will stop and trash it out or otherwise crowd it up. I know of several caves around Mt. Adams that are within a couple hundred yards of the main forest service roads. You might never know they were there if someone else hadn't pointed them out, or some such event.

Sometimes I suppose the destination dictates a long hike, other times it just means a tough drive and talking to a few locals. The idea is to just get out and get in it, even if it means the big woods out the back door, but no need to rush it all the time.