I completely agree with Hiker Jim, getting some lighter gear definately helps this old hiker up the hill! However, when it comes to the silly extremes some people go to to save an ounce, they are pushing the bounds of good sense. As someone else said, you can get by without certain gear for 99 trips and on that 100th outing you get caught in a whiteout blizzard and pay with your life.
The idea of replacing a knife with a razor blade is really ignorant. If you think all you ever need a knife for is to open the foil package on a freeze dried meal, you are not very well informed. You cannot make fuzz sticks, and shelters with a razor blade!
Some of the extreme lightweight hikers are only hiking high traffic trails and count on others to bail them out or they stay out of trouble because they are on "highway trails". If your hiking goal is to carry less, cover 30 miles a day, you are not really taking the time to enjoy the wilderness and the experience.
As for BK magazine, I gave up on it years ago, their content is really bias toward one way of thinking, not necessarily correct either.